Physicians who haven’t made it into the residency programs- Opportunities are UNLIMITED.
Value-Based care is transforming healthcare delivery in America. This is perfect timing for physicians to take administrative roles in hospitals, outpatient clinics, ambulatory surgery centers, accountable care organizations, post-acute care centers, insurance agencies, pharmacies, medical devices, and health IT. The physician administrators can improve the quality, safety, efficiency, and patient experience. The physicians who haven’t made it into the residency program, both the American Medical Graduates and International Medical Graduates (IMGs), can pursue the following careers.
Quality Director/ Chief Quality Officer (quality, safety, JCI, and data management)
- · Hospital ethics and compliance officer (knowledge of CMS, state and other health care regulations)
- · Director of Infection Control
- · Administrative residency/ fellowship (people who have done MBA/ MHSA/ MPH )
- · Clinical Informatician (knowledge of electronic health records, don’t need technical skills)
- · Director, Health Analytics
- Data scientist if you have statistical background (R, SPSS, SAS or Python)
- · Outpatient practice administrator
- · Director/Manager, Accountable Care Organizations
- · Director of Medical Staff Relations
- Director of hospital operations
- · Manager of service lines (Cardiology, Neuroscience, Orthopedics, Surgery, etc.)
- · Director/ manager, Ambulatory Surgery Centers
- · Population Health Officer
- · Patient experience officer
There will be many opportunities in the coming years. COVID-19 and Learning Health System is creating many opportunities and physicians have a major role in developing new guidelines. This is the most exciting time for physicians to think outside their comfort zone and start exploring the administrative roles in healthcare.